Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Garmin Forerunner 410 Watch Mount

Until just recently, I had no way to easily monitor my speed, cadence, and heart rate during triathlons. I've had this Garmin 410 for a while now, which is synced with a speed/cadence sensor on my bike, but it is just too hard to look at my wrist while riding and I'm not ready to purchase a bike computer. The watch is kinda okay in aero position and even more difficult on the hoods. Garmin offers this universal mount kit, but how do I squeeze that on my handlebars with clip-on aero bars? After seeing the out-front mounts offered for bike computer, I agreed that out-front is the ideal location. Still, I didn't have any room on my handlebars. After a little bit of ideation, I came up with this solution: an aero bar watch mount.


Some details about the design. The two pieces snap together tightly via a male-female connection shown in the main part of the mount. It attaches via two 6M socket head cap screws on either side. Aka it works with a bike tool. The profile is tailored to the Garmin Forerunner 410 meaning it is not a perfect ellipse. The profile is also rotated 10 degrees toward the user which is a comfortable viewing angle. Lastly, a lip running around the edge of the mount, but tapering for the large face of the watch, keeps the band secure while riding. 


Above is a picture of it secured to my aero bars with the watch mounted. I have gone on several training rides and rode my first half-ironman with it. So far, I am very happy with the design and have even had a few inquiries about it. I found that with so many people coming from one or two sport background, this is a challenge that others face as well. There are many runners out there doing triathlons with GPS watches, road bikes, and clip-on aero bars. Maybe I'll put the design up on Shapeways.

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about posting it to Thingverse. I am sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete